Re: [vox-outreach] Article: 'Linux in action: A public library'ssuccess story'

Re: [vox-outreach] Article: 'Linux in action: A public library'ssuccess story'

Richard Crawford wrote:
Jonathan Stickel said:

Why build Linux from scratch, or use some low-profile distribution?
Bill has shown it to be possible to build a secure kiosk with Debian,
and I'm sure gentoo would fit the bill as well.

I was under the impression that LuMiX *is* a low-profile distribution,
which the authors pretty much customized for library use.  I honestly
don't know what the difference would be, though, between LuMiX and a kiosk
install of Debian/Gentoo.  Would Deb/Gen allow for a working installation
of OpenOffice.org so that users could do word processing and so on?

I personally use gentoo, and yes OO.o is in "portage" (the name for gentoo's install system and dependency tree).

In case you didn't know, gentoo is an "install from source" distribution. This means that you can have a lot of flexibility in how and what is installed. Also, the latest versions of software are available very quickly. But you wouldn't want to maintain several individual installations across an organization, like a library. It would just take to darn long to do the initial installations and all the upgrades. However, it is possible and very feasible to build all the software on one machine and distribute to the others.

Jonathan