Re: [vox-outreach] Article: 'Linux in action: A public library's success story'

Jonathan Stickel said:

> Why build Linux from scratch, or use some low-profile distribution?
> Bill has shown it to be possible to build a secure kiosk with Debian,
> and I'm sure gentoo would fit the bill as well.

I was under the impression that LuMiX *is* a low-profile distribution,
which the authors pretty much customized for library use.  I honestly
don't know what the difference would be, though, between LuMiX and a kiosk
install of Debian/Gentoo.  Would Deb/Gen allow for a working installation
of OpenOffice.org so that users could do word processing and so on?

> I have a 333mhz computer I'd like put to good use.  This project is as
> good as any.  In fact, I am would be very willing, and excited, to help
> with a Linux project in either a library or a school.  I feel both
> publicly funded institutions should be socially obligated to use open
> source.

I fully agree.  Libraries, especially, since they embody the idea of free
access to information, ought to be running entirely
open-source/open-standards.  I argue that in a paper I'm writing for a
presentation on Friday (the same one I had to burn all those CD's for).

--
Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (AIM: Buffalo2K)