Re: [vox-outreach] Speaker possibility as GTC

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 03:04:54PM -0700, Trevor Lango wrote:
> I am willing, but just to be perfectly clear, this really isn't like our
> usual: "Linux is cool! You should use it!" ... now is it?

I would imagine so, yes. :^)

Of course, we'd also want to point out, as usual, that OSS is more than
just Linux...

<snip>
> - costs (purchasing, maintaining, training, etc.)
> - licensing/ability to customize
> - ease of implementation/installation/setup
> - IT support staff training/ability to maintain
> - user training/ease of use
> - any other suggestions...? :)

This is definitely a good start!  I'm pretty busy ATM, so I don't have
time to mull it over, but you're on the right track. :^)

> And just another note: the title states for AND against Open Source... so to
> deliver a fair and equitable presentation, I would have to utter blaspehous
> words, words against (gasp!) open source...? ;-)

Yeaaah...  there's always a reason to not go with OSS.  But really, in the
end, it's usually hard to swallow.  But, in cases like Gov't Tech
(vs. Joe Desktop User), it probably happens often.

> I am willing to commit to this in the absence of a more qualified speaker
> and upon confirmation of date and time.

Thanks!  I'll make a note. ;^)