January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-outreach] CheapBytes discounts!

Re: [vox-outreach] CheapBytes discounts!

Volunteers burning handout cds:
pros:
- very cheap: free to 15c per disk
cons:
- difficult to control quantity and quality
- receiver wonders, "can I trust this poorly penned magic marker cd not to give my computer a virus or screw it up another way"

Professional burning of handout cds:
pros:
- excellent quality, printed labels included
- receiver more comfortable testing the cd
cons:
- relatively expensive: 4x the cost of volunteer burning

Perhaps the best option is to put printed labels on volunteer burned disks. This will take extra effort. Currently I do not have the means to do it myself, but I am happy to burn disks.

Jonathan

Bill Kendrick wrote:
I heard back from CheapBytes!

We can get discs (with screens and sleeves) for 0.59c each (at 500qty)!

I haven't asked if we can mix-n-match discs (e.g., if they can give us
300 Knoppix and 200 GNUWin or TheOpenCD, or some combo), but I will right now

Now, I'll need to ask Henry if he's okay with us spending ~$300 on discs.
(I also need to see if Mike has spoken with GTC folks over the phone,
like he's supposed to today :^) )