Re: [vox-outreach] Contacted CheapBytes for WEF/GTC discs

on Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 01:04:11PM -0700, Bill Kendrick (nbs@sonic.net) wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 03:22:19AM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 10:50:12PM -0700, Bill Kendrick (nbs@sonic.net) wrote:
> > >
> > > I've just sent an email to the friendly folks at CheapBytes to see if they
> > > could help us out with Knoppix, GNUWinII and/or TheOpenCD discs to give out
> <snip>
> > >   2. I think we can afford it (assuming it's not $4/disc!)
> >
> > Can you post your quote?
>
> "Quote" as in, what they've responded with?  If so, no response yet! :^(
> If you mean, what we're willing to pay?  I dunno!  Henry?
>

> > I'm interested in bulk replication.  I've seen
> > rates close to $1/disk, including IIRC, silkscreening (one or two
> > color), in quantities of ~ 1000.
>
> Hrm, that's honestly still a little pricey.  (Compared to burning ourselves,
> esp. when places like OfficeMax end up giving the blanks away for free!)

With media, labels, and sleeves, that's actually pretty reasonable.
It's only a few pennies over my own costs (but then I pay for media).

My own burn time is about 5 minutes a disk, so 100 disks is chunk of
time.

> > I also ran across some CD replicators for audio work which run a stacker
> > of up to 50 disks, for ~$1400, possibly similar prices for software.
>

> <snip>
> > Plain white windowed paper sleeves are a few bucks per 50 at Office
> > Despot.
>
> Yep. :)
>

> <snip>
> > I'll volunteer my Knoppix labels:
> <snip>
>
> Feel like printing a few hundred? ;)

Got me a deal on stock?  The real hassle is hand-feeding the damned
labels through my laserjet (they jam through the manual tray).

Peace.

    Rodents of unusual size? I don't think they exist.
    - Princess Bride