Re: [vox-outreach] Contacted CheapBytes for WEF/GTC discs

on Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 10:50:12PM -0700, Bill Kendrick (nbs@sonic.net) wrote:

> I've just sent an email to the friendly folks at CheapBytes to see if they
> could help us out with Knoppix, GNUWinII and/or TheOpenCD discs to give out
> at Whole Earth Festival and Government Technology Center next month.
>
> I did this for a few reasons:
>
>   1. I haven't received much response with regards to folks from LUGOD
>      burning discs this year.  (Perhaps we're all 'burnt out'?  Har har!)
>
>   2. I think we can afford it (assuming it's not $4/disc!)

Can you post your quote?  I'm interested in bulk replication.  I've seen
rates close to $1/disk, including IIRC, silkscreening (one or two
color), in quantities of ~ 1000.

I also ran across some CD replicators for audio work which run a stacker
of up to 50 disks, for ~$1400, possibly similar prices for software.

>      We don't need anything fancy like the hard jewelcases and full-color
>      screens we got when Z-World donated discs to use.  We don't need
>      high-quality sleeves and color screens like the Knoppix For Kids discs.

Plain white windowed paper sleeves are a few bucks per 50 at Office
Despot.

>   3. Managing volunteers (10 discs here, 50 discs there, sometimes labelled,
>      sometimes not, sometimes with sleeves, sometimes without) is tedious.
>      I don't have time for it this year, and I doubt anyone else wants that
>      job! ;^)

I'll volunteer my Knoppix labels:

    http://linuxmafia.com/~karsten/Knoppix-3.3-generic.ps
    http://linuxmafia.com/~karsten/Knoppix-3.3-generic.glabels

...for Fellowes/Neato 2-up stock.

These have a sort of mini-HOWTO on the label itself.

Peace.

    America Trans Air (ATA) customer service sucks:
     http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Rants/ata-sucks.html