2004 Feb 07 16:59

[vox-outreach] Document: "Open Source in School Computer Labs"

[vox-outreach] Document: "Open Source in School Computer Labs"

Nice looking document, which is directed towards school administrators:

  http://www.ossadvocacy.org/docs/oss-school/

It's broken into the following sections:

  0. Introduction: What is Open Source Software?
  1. Advantages to using Open Source Software in your schools
    1.1. Lower cost per seat
    1.2. Greatly reduced upgrade cost
    1.3. No need to track licenses
    1.4. Greater security and stability
    1.5. Lower cost of maintenance
    1.6. Savings are shared with families
    1.7. Greater long term flexibility
    1.8. OSS teaches computing concepts well
  2. How Open Source Software can be used in schools
    2.1. All major software can be replaced with Open Source Software
    2.2. Software packages can be replaced incrementally
    2.3. How to get support
  3. You are not alone
  4. Conclusion
  5. Further reading