2004 Jan 14 16:51

Re: [vox-outreach] Live CD

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 10:59:07AM -0800, Trevor Lango wrote:
> The P.H.L.A.K. project is discussed in the following article:
>
> http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/darktips/story/0,24330,3591332,00.html
>
> "This Knoppix STD-like distro is loaded with cool features and makes a great
> CD bootable to learn Linux."
>
> I downloaded the ISO, burned it, and checked it out for just a few minutes
> before I had to go to work. Looks like fun. I would be willing to burn more
> CD's for distribution to the linux-starved public. :-)

Except that PHLAK stands for Professional Hackers Linux Assault Kit...
Their CD is intended more as a toolkit for security professionals. It's
heavy on tools like nmap, nessus, john, freeswan, dsniff, etc. It also
uses only IceWM and fluxbox for GUIs. Not that I have a problem with
either (I run fluxbox exclusively myself) but for the average
"linux-starved public" I think Knoppix with their default of KDE is a
much better choice.