Re: [vox-outreach] My/our own OSS disc

Bill Kendrick wrote:
I'm considering putting together a disc of Open Source software
(copies of stuff for both Windows and Linux, and maybe Mac OS X)
to distribute in the area.

My main focus is on very general audience.  I'm thinking something similar
to GNUWinII, or The Open CD, but our own collection.

Any interest in discussing it?  Maybe my new CD burner's gone to my head :)

I think maybe so :) Really, presentation is critical with multi-software distribution CDs. I don't know Open CD, but I know that when I pop in a GnuWin II CD, it auto-starts a web browser where I can learn what the CD is about, I can look through the available programs, and there are instructions for installing them. You may have a tough creating an interface like this, especially if you include software for more than one OS.

In general, I think there already exists exemplary OSS CDs for Windows (GWII, OpenCD). Linux users already know how to get OSS, and for trying out Linux, there is KNOPPIX. The only unmet need might be for Macs!

Jonathan