2003 Sep 07 20:38

Re: [Vox-Outreach] A version of Lindows runs from CD too

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 12:22:37PM -0700, Paul Miller wrote:
> FYI
>
> "The new LindowsCD--a stripped-down version of the San Diego,
> Ca.-based company's Lindows 4.0 OS--targets users who want to try out
> Linux but don't want to go through the hassle of actually installing
> the operating system, partition a hard drive to add another OS, or
> remove the existing operating system."
>
>  http://crn.channelsupersearch.com/news/crn/43201.asp
>
> I bet they incorporated Knoppix code.  I wonder how long it will take
> for other distros to pick up the feature?  Anyone know if they have a
> hd install option?

SuSE had their "live CD", actually.  I think it may have been around
before Knoppix!

Of course, Knoppix is only the lastest and greatest bootable Linux CD.
A year or two ago, DemoLinux was 'the thing' ;^)
(LUGOD gave out about 100 copies at Whole Earth Festival in 2002)

I think it all really started with Linux Bootable Business Card (LNXBBC),
and its ancestry.

Hopefully I'm coherent, I'm still pretty sick right now :^(

bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://newbreedsoftware.com/bill