2003 Jun 10 15:27

[Vox-Outreach] Article about Linux in Government

[Vox-Outreach] Article about Linux in Government

Interesting article...

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6927&mode=thread&order=0

Linux Access in State and Local Government, Part I
===
This year, Oregon and Texas legislators introduced house and senate
bills respectively supporting open-source software. Both legislative
bills made their way to committee hearings, but the results differed
significantly. Oregon's HB 2892 died. In Texas, SB 1579 found favor in
the Committee and remains pending due to a walkout by approximately 50
members of the House.

California and Oklahoma also made attempts do some legislative mandating
to use open-source software that died quietly. Rhode Island didn't see
legislative action, but it did build a Linux portal for the state's
rules and regulations database, which received good reviews.

Other states, such as Alabama, attempted grass roots efforts from their
Information Service Departments to implement open-source initiatives.
Grass roots efforts exist in Iowa, Utah, Hawaii and Louisiana.

We discovered open-source initiatives in city and county government
units across the country. Similar to commercial users of Linux, the
various local efforts have started at the bottom.
===

Major sections include:
===
The Issues
Saving Money
The Political Opposition
Business Software Alliance
Initiative for Software Choice & CompTIA
American Electronics Association
Association for Competitive Technology
Intel
Year-to-Date Outcomes