Re: [Vox-Outreach] Adopt-A-Highway

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 04:36:53PM -0400, Mike Simons wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 10:02:56AM -0700, Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote:
> > Up spake Peter Jay Salzman on Mon, May 12, 2003 at 09:21:47AM -0700:
> > > does anybody know what entails adopting a highway?  is it money?
> > > garbage pickup?
> >
> > Money in lieu of garbage pickup, I believe.
>
>   I will check... but I think the orgs pay Caltrans money to clean up
> the roads in exchange for the advertising.
>
>   I would be surprised if people can volunteer do the highway clean
> themselves.  I've never seen road crews in CA that look like normal
> people on the highway... to me they normally look like community service
> sentences.
>   If it is possible to do the labor, I can imagine we will get even 5
> people to show up to clean even a 2 mile segment of highway.

  It took an amazingly long time to get a reply back from my phone calls
to the adopt-a-highway people... turns out that talking to the DMV booth
at GTC is actually the channel I got useful replies from first.

  It turns out that volunteers can do the cleaning themselves, and this
appears to be the preferred method.  However, organizations can also
contract with professional firms to do the tasks instead... in some
locations professional contractors are required.

Available activities:
  Participation can include one or more of the following activities.
  - Removing litter (work frequency varies with location).
  - Planting and establishing trees, or wildflowers.
  - Removing graffiti.
  - Controlling vegetation.

  The literature seems to indicate that "advertising of a group" is
*not* a valid use of the program... but I think it will be okay that
we get a nice sign out of this.

  The program is very formal in duties and responsibilities of the groups
that do this work... in that a designated coordinator is required to
undergo safety training, safety equipment must be used at all times,
notice must be given to Caltrans people before clean up days, etc...
nothing seems to be a show stopper.

The following brochure does a good overview of the program:
  http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/maint/adopt/AAHBrochure602.pdf

The CA website for this program is:
  http://adopt-a-highway.dot.ca.gov/

  I'm willing to handle coordination of this sort of activity...
but I *require* 5 Lugod members who are not me or Bill to agree to help
clean at least 4 times a year, before I start any paperwork...

- Any volunteers?