Re: [Vox-Outreach] Testing of CD Images

[perhaps we should move this to vox-tech]

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 01:31:45PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> point of reference - the only time i've *ever* burned coasters is when i
> played a game like quake3 while writing a cd.  other than that, i've had
> a 0% failure rate.

> On Mon 12 May 03,  4:25 PM, Mike Simons <msimons@moria.simons-clan.com> opined:
> >   I would prefer the disks be verified before the event...
>
> you don't even have to verify it.  just:
>
>    mount /cdrom; umount /cdrom
>
> and getting a prompt back quickly is enough.

- Could you explain how getting a prompt back quickly means that the
  disk image is correctly burned?

  I understand that if the filesystem structure is damaged that mount
will fail, but there is a very large compressed disk image on inside the
ISO... a few blocks are bad inside that file could result in an
unbootable CD or one that works fine except a particular documentation
file is bad.

  I have seen a CDs with big black splotches of what looks like paint
on the data side... of the last batch, and they booted fine, but I can't
imagine how the disk image is really complete since the spatter would
have prevented the laser from burning certain bytes.