January 6: Social gathering

Re: [Vox-Outreach] crazy idea - highways

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 10:02:56AM -0700, Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote:
> Up spake Peter Jay Salzman on Mon, May 12, 2003 at 09:21:47AM -0700:
> > does anybody know what entails adopting a highway?  is it money?
> > garbage pickup?
>
> Money in lieu of garbage pickup, I believe.

  I will check... but I think the orgs pay Caltrans money to clean up
the roads in exchange for the advertising.

  I would be surprised if people can volunteer do the highway clean
themselves.  I've never seen road crews in CA that look like normal
people on the highway... to me they normally look like community service
sentences.
  If it is possible to do the labor, I can imagine we will get even 5
people to show up to clean even a 2 mile segment of highway.

- How do you think we could get volunteers?

> Like a banner.  A big banner with LUGOD on it, that we can use at
> shows and stuff.  I wish we'd had one at WEF, to distinguish us from
> the guys on either side of us.

  Yes a banner would be a good idea.

  Bill, Ryan C, and I were talking about a banner at one point during
WEF.  Of the things we have talked about a banner is probably a better
use of money than most... I think we can even hand make one that would be
very cheap and useful...

- What does everyone think we should have on the banner?

  "Linux Users' Group of Davis"
  "http://www.lugod.org/";
  "Serving Davis and the Sacramento region"
  "Linux and Open Source:
   Advocacy, Education, Support and Socializing"
  [the water tower logo]