[Vox-Outreach] [fwd] Linux Kiosk status

For everyone's info... Here's a note from Arnaud over at Omsoft:

-bill!

----- Forwarded message from Arnaud Menut <arnaud@omsoft.com> -----

Hi Bill,

I finshed the configuration and set of the Kiosk machine about a week ago
and looks like it's been humming along with out any issues. The owner of
Newsbeat is considering another station for his Sacramento store, so there
may be the need to have another unit set up.

There's only a couple of things I like to address with it though:

* The screensaver. Right now it defaults to blanking the screen, which is
fine but users see a black screen as 'off'. I'd like to have the screensave
have an image bouncing around the screen which is more likely to tell the
average user that the machine is in fact still on.

* The browser. As things stand, I wasn't able to find a way to change the
browser settings such as home page. There was also a question as to whether
the Konqueror browser could support Flash and the like. If it doesn't
that's not really an issue since it's a public browsing station and not a
home multi-media center.

Other than those two minor issues, the kiosk is working well.

----- End forwarded message -----
<sig & quote snipped>