2008 Nov 08 13:52
[vox-announce] Linux, LUGOD and Valley Oak Charter School

[vox-announce] Linux, LUGOD and Valley Oak Charter School

Last Saturday, while LUOGD was holding a demo at the Davis Farmer's Market
for this year's Software Freedom Day, we spoke with a group of people who
are hoping to turn Valley Oak Elementary School in east Davis into a
Charter School.

  http://www.vocharter.org/

Their handout at Farmer's Market mentioned they hope to become a 'tech school',
and their draft Education Program for the charter school discusses this in
detail:

  http://www.vocharter.org/documents/VOCS%20Ed%20Plan%20082707.pdf

We asked if they had considered Linux or other Open Source software, and they
showed great interest in it, and in our user group.  We've opened a dialog,
and Bill Storm, Valley Oak's Faculty Contact, responded quite positively:

  We need to meet.  I'm extremely interested in chatting with you about how
  your group can be a part of our efforts.  Our tech guy at Valley Oak (Devin)
  and I have had a number of conversations about the network and OS... and I'm
  pretty familiar with it, though not deeply conversant.  Please do let
  everyone know about the 9/24 meeting, and pass along our website,
  www.vocharter.org <http://www.vocharter.org/> .

If you're interested in Valley Oak Charter School, and/or how LUGOD may be
able to help them with their computer technology, please consider attending
their public information meeting, this Monday, September 24th from 7-8:30pm.

  Valley Oak
  Multipurpose room
  1400 East 8th St.
  Davis, CA 95616