2008 Nov 08 13:52
[vox-announce] the new mailing lists

hi everybody,

so the new mailing lists are done.  henry, rod, bill and i worked *very* hard
on them.  i hope you enjoy them.  they'll certainly give me ALOT more control
over the lists.  i no longer need to forge emails directly to the smtp port
when someone can't figure out how to unsubscribe themselves from the list.

and frankly, it's nice to have a list that knows when an email address fades
out of existence by a "user not found" message instead of bouncing 30
messages a day to my personal inbox until i take care of it.

but more than that, this new list gives YOU alot more control.  the web
interface is nice (and lynx friendly).  take a moment to look at your
options page:

	http://lists.lugod.org/vox
	http://lists.lugod.org/vox-tech
	http://lists.lugod.org/vox-announce

it's at the bottom of the page.  the "edit options" button.  there are some
really nice features:

1. digest mode for you busy bees.
2. disable mail delivery for awhile when you're too busy to deal with traffic.
3. change your password

and more.  the authors did a very nice job with mailman.   you can post to
the lists by sending email to:

archives
--------
the archives will be on-line in a few hours.   we lost all posts since "black
friday" (the day mother.com messed up our lists).  other than that, i think
the archives should be okey dokey.

passwords
---------
the welcome msg had your subscription password.  keep it somewhere.  you'll
need this password to edit your options, including unsubscribing.  if you do
change it, please don't use a valuable password.  these things will be mailed
to you on a monthly basis as plain text.  the earth won't stop spinning if
someone sniffs your password, but it might stop spinning if you used the same
password for root on your machine that's hooked up to DSL.

btw, i don't think there's any easy way for me to see your passwords, so
please don't ask.  you can have your password mailed to you anyhow.  from
your subscription option page.

filtering
---------
you get your choice of nice headers to filter on.  the ones i'm filtering on
are:

that should be a nice and stable header to filter on.  any email that gets
sent to the list will have one of these headers.   administrative emails like
your monthly password reminders will not contain this header, so again, it
should be safe to filter on.

the old list

i was going to write an expect script to do this automagically, but at this
point, i've spent waaaaaay too much time on these lists.  i need to get back
to physics for awhile.   here are the instructions on how to unsubscribe from
the old lists.

a. vox

	send email to "vox-request@franz.mother.com".  the message body should
   just contain the word "unsubscribe".  the subject should be empty.

b. vox-tech

	send email to "vox-tech-request@franz.mother.com".  the message body
   should just contain the word "unsubscribe".  the subject should be empty.

c. vox-announce

	send email to "vox-announce-request@franz.mother.com".  the message body
   should just contain the word "unsubscribe".  the subject should be empty.

now if you send this email from an address that's not subscribed to the
lists, this won't work.  suppose you signed onto the lists as "osama@hell.org".

i **think** what you can do is instead of having a message body of
"unsubscribe", the message body should be "unsubscribe osama@hell.org".  i
should get a confirmation notice which i need to deal with, but it should
work.

well, that's about all i had to say.

pete

ps- congratulations on finding the secret message.  please send a postcard
to floyd, care of the funny farm.   ;)

PGP Public Key:  finger p@dirac.org