Linux Users' Group of Davis - "Installfest - Mac Requirements"
Installfest - Mac Requirements
Due to how quickly things change, we cannot guarantee the accuracy of
This document was created with the help of LUGOD's Linux-on-Mac expert,
- Newer Macs, with the PowerPC style CPUs and a PIC bus are
supported by most Macintosh Linux distributions.
- Older Macs, with Motorola 68000-series CPUs, and newer
Macs with NuBus are supported by MkLinux
- Most distributions for PowerPC have graphical installers that require at
least 48MB of RAM.
- Debian/PPC works with as little as 8mb.
Hard Disk Space
- At a very minimum, some Linux distributions can fit in as little as 20MB.
- The smallest space we recommend trying to fit Linux into is
- For a more usable system, at least 2GB is useful
- The more, the better!
- All Apple mice, keyboards,
trackpads are supported, including USB devices.
- Most third-party mice and keyboards work as well.
- Video works on all supported Mac models and hardware acceleration is
- Apple Macintosh sound hardware is supported.
- Built-in Ethernet is supported.
- LocalTalk (serial) networking is NOT supported.
- AppleTalk and Mac File Sharing protocols are supported
- Built-in SCSI (Apple or Adaptec) is supported.
For more, see LinuxPPC
Compatible Hardware and the
LUGOD: PO Box 1336, Davis, CA 95617
2001 Jul 16 15:59